Here is a simple guide on how to get from El Salvador to Honduras using local buses. The total cost from Santa Ana to Copan was $6.65 USD and a general shuttle would have cost $40 USD.
- Santa Ana to Metapan – takes 1.5 hours and costs $0.9 USD.
- Metapan to Anguiatu border(Guatemala) – takes 30 minutes and costs $0.55 USD.
- Anguiatu to Vada Hondo – takes 1 to 1.5 hours and costs $1.95 USD.
- Vada Hondo to El Forido border(Honduras) – takes 1 hour and costs $3.25 USD.
- El Florido to Copan – takes 30 minutes. I caught a ride with someone driving so I’m not sure of the cost. It can’t be more than $0.5 USD though.
The entire trip took a little over 7 hours and was really easy to figure out. Keep in mind the Honduras border will charge $3USD to enter the country.
SO, bring 10$ and you’re set for the day : )
Hopefully this helps some people as I couldn’t find any information on this route myself.